Sunday, March 1, 2009

Chinese, only on the inside.

I grew up in an English speaking family all my life. I can say that my Mandarin speaking and writing skills were close to… zilch until I reached Secondary school. Here’s a little background information for you. I started Chinese tuition early in Primary school, and I cannot tell you how much I loathed having to speak Mandarin or even dragging myself to the tuition centre. I hated when the people around me spoke Mandarin, and I always saw them as different. As I was from St. Hilda’s Primary School, a co-ed, multi-racial school, it seemed only normal that everyone conversed in English.

However, one would not understand the culture shock I got upon entering Secondary school. Having not fared too well in my PSLE, I ended up in Chung Cheng High (Branch). This school was actually a neighbourhood school with a nicer sounding name located at Guiliemard Road. The first person I spoke to while lining up before class, said “Hi, my name is Sylvia”, to me in Mandarin. On top of that, our uniform was white with metal studded buttons. All the boys regardless of age wore short pants and all the girls kept short hair. Our entire school attire practically screamed COMMUNIST! I could not help but feel that my entire being was placed in the wrong school, in fact, the wrong Cheena[1] school.  An Ah Lian[2], also spoke to me in Hokkien[3] on the first day of school saying “Diao si mi diao”, which literally translates to “Stare what Stare” in a bid to question why I was staring at her. This actually left me stumped, without a reply for the girl because I did not understand what she had said until a friend pointed it out to me.

So after settling into class, I tried to make some other new friends, while trying to get by in my poor Mandarin. At that point in time, I was at my wits end, and had decided to use the “When in France, be like the French” method to assimilate my way in until I met person A. Upon hearing how broken and incoherent my Mandarin was, person A exclaimed, “Eh, your Chinese is horrible, stop trying to speak Chinese when you can’t!” It was then that I thanked my lucky stars that I had finally found someone who was willing to converse in English, and up till today, is still a close friend of mine.

I did continue to speak English, but at the same time, I also tried my best to converse in Mandarin whenever possible. This “bilingual-ness”, proved to be useful throughout my entire time in Chung Cheng as it allowed me to get to know others from different family backgrounds, and also help me improve my Mandarin. It also taught me to interact with others different from me and at the same time, allowed me to enjoy my Secondary School education as I slowly caught on to their jokes and learnt to appreciate their nuances.

Thinking back, I would probably not have made many friends or had as much fun if I had chosen to just continue speaking in English while the majority spoke in Chinese. This really shows the importance of being willing to understand and learn a culture of any kind, even if its School culture. Without a good understanding of the norms of a culture which one wants to fit into, he or she would actually stick out more instead and have even more difficulty fitting in. Therefore, I am proud to say that, I survived the culture shock, but don’t expect me to rattle on in Mandarin after having left my Secondary School for so long. (:

 


[1]  A local slang word meaning “Very Chinese”

[2]  A local slang for a female delinquent

[3] A Chinese Dialect

10 comments:

  1. This is a very interesting post, Jane, because -- among other things -- it shows not just the socio-linguistic challenges you faced as a school girl but also the cultural complexity of Singapore society. I have heard of situations similar to yours, in which kids of one group are suddenly cast into a school where the majority is from a different group. My youngest daughter faced a similar situation moving from rural Japan and study/play in a local school to her Primary 5 days in Bukit Timah PS. Making that kind of shift would present a challenge to anyone.

    My guess though is that you are stronger and more tolerant thanks to having such an experience. Thanks for sharing that in this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jane!

    I did have a similar encounter too. I was from English speaking schools since young till I went into Junior College where half my classmates converse in Mandarin! It took me a while to get use to it!

    I guess we really got to learn to adapt to our surroundings and use the “When in France, be like the French” method that you mentioned when needed. In reality, we need to be flexible in life and face differences with courage!

    I'm glad you 'survived' through your secondary school days and made a good friend there! Hope those unfriendly school mates have not affected you negatively!

    (=

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brad!

    Yes, Singapore's cultural complexity is more than meets the eye even though we've been a multiracial society for since forever. It took quite abit of adjusting to the lingo in school but I also learnt to laugh at my lack of ability and soon found that my friends loved me for me regardless of my ability to communicate effectively in Chinese. Have definitely become more tolerant and accepting towards all the different people I meet nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sze!!

    I made more than a good friend, I made many other friends whom in terms of family backgrounds and language use was different from mind.

    In fact, once a friendship is developed, it quickly moves on despite the language barrier as long as people take effort to nurture the friendship or relationship of any kind. I am still very thankful for such an experience, because it has too moulded and shaped the way I am today! I'm sure you experienced the same thing too after leaving our JC. (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jane,

    That must've been an experience. The "communist" part was hilarious. Haven't things turned out fine? Haa. I enjoyed reading your post. Thanks for sharing.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jane,

    I like the way you describe the situation and the use of words to illustrate the happening. Although I can from a family that speaks both English and Chinese, and sometimes a bit of Cantonese, I really understand how you felt at that moment. You handled the situation very well. "When in France, be like the French.” This saying can not only be applied to your situation, in fact, to me, it is one of the most valuable phrase to remember when it comes to the working world.

    Well, at least you survived those 4 years of education and met a wonderful friend. Aren't you glad that you made a effort to converse in Chinese and learned the language of the ah lians, else, you will be bullied by them and not even know the reason why. Also, you will not be watching those Hong Kong dramas on SVC which you love so much now.. Wahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Michelle!

    Actually, watching more chinese shows did help me become better in learning to deal with all the "culture shock" so to speak. Which reminds me that, there are many ways to deal with learning to cope with a new culture / experience, not simply just by interacting! (: But trust me, you are definitely right when you say I really do enjoy these programmes even more now on SCV! (:

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jane,

    Cultural shock that you experienced in your secondary school sounds something like what I experienced when I entered Junior College. Since kindergarden, my schools all had an English speaking environment, and it could be partly be because all my schools were Methodist schools. But once I entered JC, a lot of classmates around me spoke Mandarin which was not easy to get used to,I'm sure that was how you felt at that time. Fortunately, most of my classmates adapted to a "Please speak English to Hui Xia" campaign=)

    Have you ever experienced a situation when your classmates are speaking Mandarin amongst themselves, but when you enter the conversation everyone starts speaking English to you? This kind of situation really makes people feel awkward at times.

    Similar as you, I always get the comment that my Mandarin is horrid and my friends would just ask me to stop speaking Mandarin.I wonder if we really sound that bad?=P

    Thank you for sharing your experience with us on your blog post, being in a multi-racial society like ours really forces us to understand other cultures so that we can fit in as you mentioned, which is my exact sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Huixia!

    Thanks for your comment!

    Yes, I have experienced how they would speak to everyone in chinese but only in english to me. They would sometimes also stop short in their conversations and switch to English.

    But this soon changed after I got to know all of them better and when they realised that I understood their lingo! (:

    I think the point about speaking mandarin is showing that we are willing to make effort to fit in and communicate better, so DON'T WORRY! even if we do sound bad! :P

    thanks a bil for your comment! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Roy!

    Thanks for the comment!

    But that was how I truly felt about my uniform back then

    ReplyDelete