Sunday, March 15, 2009

There's still hope!

I have always found that effective communication is something that is very difficult to do. First of all, it not only takes two people to listen to each other, but also for both parties to choose the right words and to say it at the appropriate time.

My mother used to tell me that if you didn’t say something loud enough, it was as good as not saying at all. This to me, is very true. How are you suppose to know what time to meet your friend if he said so in his softest, most inaudible voice.

However, over the weekend, I learnt something else different. There is a great need for one to speak clearly and pronounce his words properly. My elder brother was sharing the other day, of how he had visited Macdonalds. The old lady at the counter had first welcomed him with a bright smile and had taken down his order. Before cashing in the final order, she asked “Your cock want upsize?” My elder brother was shocked for words. Thinking that he could have heard wrongly he had asked her to repeat herself. Again, she went “Your cock want upsize”. After some quick thinking, he realized that she was really asking was “Your coke want upsize?”

It sure takes more time to process what someone is trying to say when the person did not make himself clear isn’t it? For the example above, my brother was really tickled at what the old lady had said even though  she had not intended for it to be so, nor was she aware of what she was saying. After sharing this with my family members, a few of them also pointed out that they had been in similar occasions. Of course, some of them did mention that they could hardly keep their laughter within them when they were caught in that situation. This meant that the old lady, or any other person in her place, was usually embarrassed after the outburst, or for the lucky ones; did not even realize what was wrong.

This really got me thinking over the next few days because I know that I’ve been Ms. Old lady before. I recently completed by 4 year stance of braces wearing, and am currently on retainers. My dentist has instructed me to wear it daily and this does not come without the difficulty of pronouncing words right. When I first started, it took a lot of getting used to and I always fumbled over my letters. But, I always made it a point to repeat myself if I knew that I was unclear. I guess such a practice is a first step to discovering and helping your weak points. Because I was constantly aware of my diction, I became even more conscious, and this I believe, has helped me improved and gotten used to speaking with my retainers on.

As mentioned in my opening line, effective communication is not easy to do. Every day is a chance to practice and perfect this art of communication. It might not be innate for all of us to be able to speak well or fluently or clearly. But it gives me great comfort, that such a skill can be cultivated.  

11 comments:

  1. Dear Jane,

    Ouch! What an interesting experience your brother had! The vignette demonstrates in an amusing way your main point, that clarity in communication can be affected by pronunciation/diction (and related dialect idiosyncrasies). Many of us have had to work on some aspect of our speaking at some time in our lives. Your own experience talking "around" braces and the retainers also highlights this.

    Thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a funny post!
    It just reminds me of how some of my teachers back in high school pronounce words wrongly. For instance one of my teachers say "dongey" instead of "donkey".Then another teacher used to say "youl be the outstanding student". This one is my favorite.It does not mean that you are performing well in class but it means that you'll be the next person to stand outside the class if you continue to misbehave.

    Hence, I completely agree that proper pronunciation and sentence structures are important for effective communication.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jane,

    I totally agree with you, especially in the society today. Our generation has the special ability to hear when a person, especially a lecturer, mispronounces their words. It is very irritating when a professor, supposed to be experts in her/her field, mispronounces words that they use every single day of their life. It makes me wonder about their proficiency in their so-called specialization.

    On the receiving hand, however, it is not as easy to take in the mispronunciation lesson. Not only is it embarrassing, it makes a potential joke or a nickname for someone else to call you by (you might have to live with it for life). I feel that more should be done by the language teachers in our earlier years of school to identify frequently mispronounced words so that society won't have to face either the disturbing mispronunciations by others or the awkward being-caught-for-mispronouncing.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello Jane!

    Wo a very shocking but funny experience your brother had...haha he must had been very confused at that time. I like how you zoomed into a small issue and made us realize the fact that effective communcaiton should start from our everyday practices!

    I feel even though we mostly speak the same language which is English here in Singapore, there are many different accents and that coupled with mis-pronounciation can be a real problem. I remember learning a Bioinformatics module last semester and it was taught by 4 different lecturers from 4 different countries and all of them spoke in a deviant English accent that was incomprehensible to me. At the end of the module i was literally lost in translations and you can imagine my grades suffered too.

    I think it is important that we train ourselves to be better listeners and try to infer or guess sensibly based on the scenario when faced with such a speaker.

    Thanks again for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jane!

    This is a pretty funny post! I think the older generation generally converse in their own dialects, hence they may not be as proficient in English pronunciation. I myself have faced the same kind of situation before with a much older person, even with my own grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Brad!

    Thanks for the comment! Yes, I believe that everyone will have to go through this art of fine tuning and rediscovery at some point in life. Though I have to agree that, this often happens for different people at different points in life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Priya!

    Thank you for your comment! Trust me, I hear alot of that whenever I was in school and my mandarin teachers tried to speak spurts of chinese! I can totally understand how you feel at that point in time. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Roy!

    Thanks for the comment. Sure, it is not easy to overcome barriers, especially when there are people around you laughing if you are caught in the latter situation described. But I always believe that there's at least this chance, where you won't be caught in the same situation after one time! (: So in a way, such "pointing out of mistakes" can be good if you take it in a positive light.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Jingyang!

    I also get the same problem when I have lecturers from all over with really funny / weird / thick accents. In fact,half the time, I find myself wondering what they last said before keeping up with what they are actually saying currently.

    This shows how critical it is to be able to speak in the way your audience will be able to understand. This problem, should not be seen as something for the audience to overcome, but on the speaker's part to correct his pronounciation such that it is is understood!

    Thanks for the post :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Nadiah,

    boy, tell me about it. It happens all the time with my relatives of the older generation, even my aunties, who are not as old as my grandparents. :D I guess it's really a part of learning as well as adapting to the changing times. But you must agree, it is good effort by them to "modernize" themselves.

    ReplyDelete